Wednesday, November 12, 2008

not so sure about this...

Instant messaging is something that is very normal to me, but there is something about it that bothers me. What I question most is the way in which emotional intimacy and seemingly harmless bonds can be created so easily, even so casually(which, of course, is an oxymoron.) If two people are dating, they may have a problem with their partner having this sort of emotional intimacy in person with another person of the opposite sex. But as long as it is online, it can be passed off as something casual. I have begun to question the wisdom and appropriateness of such "online" friendships. I mean, I am in love with my boyfriend and he is in love with me, but our relationship began in the same way these friendships do: from conversation, which created emotional intimacy, to a close friendship, which led to the love and relationship we have today.

No comments: