Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Great Matzah Hunt

  
   So Passover begins on Monday night, and I needed matzah for my (sure to be very amateurish) Seder.  I originally wanted to host it for several friends, but because of having nowhere to hold it, decided to just to follow the Haggadah with my boyfriend Rob.  So I'll be making the charoset and such, but we will possibly just be getting some sort of "fast food" to eat during the dinner break.  Doing it with just myself and him will at least provide an environment I will be most comfortable in to worship God in a way I am not used to.

   As for the matzah, I waited until today only to find that no matzah is to be found in my small town.  My search first took me to the south side Walmart.  No luck there.  Then on to Kroger, which typically carries more specialty foods than other places.  I came out with this...Wasa "Crispbread."


   If you're thinking That looks like it might have leavening, it does.  But this matzah-seeking noob didn't bother to read the ingredients after a Kroger employee assured her that other customers had bought it in place of matzah. After my mother brought the problem to my attention, I called the Walmart on north side to have an employee tell me that he he knew what I was talking about and that they did, indeed, sell matzah.  Well, after making the trip and doing a bit of hunting, I came to be pretty certain that he hadn't know what I was talking about after all.

   But on the bright side, I found these crackers that are free of any type of yeast or leavening!  For this year, they are going to be my matzah.


   Over the course of my search, it didn't really bother me that a few employees I asked about matzah and things might assume I was Jewish.  One employee, however, started seeming to imply that I was following all the Jewish dietary laws and I wondered what all she was going to say and at what point I might have to explain myself.  While I don't feel the need to tell everyone, Hey, I'm not Jewish!  I'm a Christian observing Passover!, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of not standing up for what I do truly believe when it becomes a wide-open opportunity. 

   Well, with a bunch of homework, a new book to start reading(does anyone see a potential problem here?...), and Passover preparations, I have plenty to keep me busy!  God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is our second Passover and it's going very well. The first year was a bit awkward, but it gets better with each year as we keep learning. We live in a small area too, but our grocery store does carry a small assortment of kosher food. Enjoy your Passover!

Kalina said...

Since the Seder is very new to us, it felt a bit awkward at times. But everything went smoothly, and it was nice overall. :-) I hope your family has a wonderful Passover too!