Saturday, March 20, 2010

Still Beautiful

   I just posted about not having anything to post about, and then something hit me. hehe
   As I said, I have been researching the biblical basis for head covering.  I am not going to make any sweeping statements in argument for or against it. But I will share that last Sunday, I wore a scarf.  I plan to do so tomorrow, as well.  I was just reading The Biblical Headcovering: Scarf of Hidden Power, a comprehensive online booklet covering not only the biblical arguments for, but also the history of, women covering their heads.  One part of the booklet discussed how humbling it is to a woman's vanity to wear a covering.  I can certainly attest to this, after looking in the mirror wearing a scarf, and then without the scarf, and then thinking, But I look so pretty without it!  So yes, because covering makes us look so different from the way we are used to looking and so different from everyone else, there are vanity issues to be overcome.  However, I think that if one chooses to cover, they need to realize that they do not have to consequently choose to fore-go beauty.  
    I do not think there is anything wrong with women desiring beauty.  I believe that God gave us this desire, just as he gave men the desire for our beauty.  Just look at how God describes what He will do for His bride:

"...Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became mine," says the Lord God.  Then I washed you in water; yes, I thoroughly washed off your blood, and I anointed you with oil.  I clothed you in embroidered cloth and gave you sandals of badger skin; I clothed you with fine linen and covered you with silk.  I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your wrists, and a chain on your neck.  And I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head.  Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth.  You ate pastry of fine flour, honey, and oil.  You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty.  Your fame went out among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through My splendor which I had bestowed on you," says the Lord God."                                 
                                                           Ezekial 16:8-14

   God used images of a woman ornamented with jewelry and fine clothes to illustrate what wonderful things He would do for His bride!  If trying to look beautiful were wrong, why would God have used an ornamented woman as such an important metaphor?  God loves beauty.  It is an immodest and vain spirit that God detests.  If one chooses to cover, I think they need to simply redefine beauty.  Perhaps we are not conforming to our society's exact version of beauty, but that does not mean we cannot be beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stuff I've pondered about as well when I first started covering. It certainly did humble me. I realized what nonsence all my makeup and jewelery were and I stopped peeping in the mirror. I think realizing what our God terms as beauty is the most important thing here-not feeling pretty by worldy standards. I think beauty to God is how he made us-with no add ons. He sees us as a masterpeice just as we are and covering really helped me see that. When I look in the mirror now, I don't see ulgy or pretty-just me...And you know it's the most comfortable I've ever felt with myself.

torahgirl said...

oh, excellent point! Just like covering up our bodies with modest clothing doesn't have to be ugly. I wonder about those who confine themselves to dark, somber colors - isn't it ok to be sunny and happy in our modesty? Surrounding myself with bright, beautiful colors that remind me of the Creator and His love for me is my favorite part of getting dressed.

=)