Monday, December 22, 2008

Feelin' Feminine Week-long Challenge


Day 1
I got up early since I needed to go to the police station to get my accident report from Friday. Yesterday I was thinking about starting the challenge, so this morning I tried to figure out what I could pull together to wear to the daycare where I work. I put on a long denim skirt and brown top, simply putting a barrette in my hair. I wore my regular white parka, and wrapped my scarf around a couple times. I felt all bundled up and...feminine. Having a skirt on makes me feel feminine and special, and seems to perhaps make it easier to remember that I belong to God, and that I am treasured. Being aware of gender differences in dress makes me think more about what gender differences might mean for other areas of life. I don't mean the stuff everyone talks about, like how girls talk about their feelings and guys don't, but things having to do with biblical roles.
After work, I went shopping(looking for more skirts), but ended up with a blouse and a pretty blue sort-of poncho. I was going to buy another top made for layering over an undershirt, but I wasn't completely comfortable with it because it was cut down low in a triangular shape and could draw attention to the breast area. Some people I know would think that was silly, but when I start thinking about modesty, my conscience bothers me about certain things like that.
I want to start wearing skirts in a way, because I actually used to. When I was in high school, I got all into Ladies Against Feminism and read about dressing femininely, and began wearing mostly skirts. But I fell out of it, and I'm uncertain of my convictions now. I can see the reasons for doing it, but I've come to accept that God doesn't necessarily care too much whether I wear pants of not. I don't want to just start doing it out of some sudden impulse, but I figure in the end, I'll probably keep wearing them after the week is up.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Ok. I can understand this now, I think. I don't know if I agree that it should be like a "thing" but if it makes you feel good that's fine by me. I love you, I want you to feel good about yourself, to feel like the lady that I always think of you as. You are a beautiful woman, to me the most beautiful in the world. I'll always see you like that, no matter what you choose to wear.